Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Dean Lemann is so busy that . . .

From Saheli Datta's (J '04) blog:


A debate on Phillip Roth Novel wouldn't normally catch my eye on a busy morning like today, but this one on Slate made me do a double take: Nicholas Lemann debates Judith Shulevitz. The
"Who are these people?" reads: "Nicholas Lemann is dean of the Graduate School of Journalism at Columbia University and a staff writer for The New Yorker. Judith Shulevitz, former culture editor of Slate and former columnist for the New York Times Book Review, is working on a book about the Sabbath." What it does not mention is that these two are married to each other-you have to actually read Schulevitz's opening letter. It occurs to me that the relatively elderly editors at Slate might think that the cute "Love, Nick" and "Love, Judith" at the end might be enought to winkingly inform people. It also occurs to me that if I was having a debate with some good friends and colleagues of mine, I might put in the love anyway. I wonder if this is a generational difference.

We students always grumbled that Lemann was so busy fundraising and planning the two year program that we didn't see him enough. But if he has to debate literature with his
wife by email, he's getting a little carried away. Give it a break, Dean Lemann! Go home and talk to her over dinner like a normal person!

1 Comments:

Blogger Saheli said...

Uh, well, as I have updated, I really didn't mean to imply that Slate was hiding anything. Rather, I would have made a much bigger deal of it.
Though if I was in charge of Christmas skits this year, I would consider giving them a gift certificate for a dinner date in response. Everyone needs to relax sometime. ;-)
And guys, this blog is hilarious. Good luck!

October 13, 2004 at 4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home