Monday, November 08, 2004

Seymour Hersh and Jonathan Schell at NYU

Seymour Hersh (The New Yorker) and Jonathan Schell (The Nation) spoke tonight at a panel discussion moderated by Bruce Shapiro (The Nation, Salon.com, Yale University).

Apparently there you were supposed to register, but I didn't know that until I arrived with a guy from my RW2 class that I met on the subway, who had registered for himself and another one of his classmates that he was with. When we arrived at the door, the people at the ticket table told us that it was full already, and when he'd said that he'd registered already, they said: "Yeah, we filled up already, sorry." They'd underestimated how many people wanted to come -- they had too small of a room (a < 100 person classroom) to hold everyone.

I wandered down the hallway, and within a minute or two, someone came out the backdoor, and I slipped in. I found a space on the floor a few feet away from the panel and took as detailed notes as possible.

Following the discussion, Hersh signed books outside, so I shook his hand, bought a book and he signed it. When he noticed my name, he asked where I was from -- I said California. When he asked where my family was from, I said that my father was Iranian, and he was interested -- he said he's going there soon. I look forward to his reporting.

My unedited account is here.

JS: Jonathan Schell
SH: Seymour Hersh
BS: Bruce Shapiro
Q: Question from the audience

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home